Are you looking for the best way to trim down that stubborn weed and grass in your lawn, fence, or pavement? Then an electric weed eater is a pivotal addition. It is an excellent tool to DIY (do it yourself) all the trimming.
However, there are countless models from gas to batter that it becomes a daunting task to determine the right choice. Don’t you worry! Because we are bringing you the list of the best electric weed eaters. Their lightweight construct, with a perfect balance of power and performance, makes it a good addition to your toolset.
Whether you’re a beginner or a veteran, having an in-depth understanding of a weed eater is vital to make a buying decision. Therefore, we have also provided a buyer’s guide with various features and specifications to look for. This complete article is an attempt to help you make an informed decision and get the best choice!
What Is A Weed Eater And How Does It Work?
The Weed Eater is also known as a string trimmer. It is a tool that is primarily used for trimming grass and weed. There is a gas, electric, and battery-powered model available in the market to suit your requirement. Usually, it has a spinning head that uses monofilament strings instead of blades. With the use of physics, the centrifugal force that is built is great for cutting out weeds and grass. Due to the monofilament strings, it received the name of the string trimmer. The elongate shaft of the trimmer is to help the users reach any distance conveniently.
Now, you might have a question that if there are gas and battery options available, why should you choose an electric weed eater? To put it simply, a gas one is better for professional applications. Only a licensed expert should use gas-powered ones due to fume emission and power. Similarly, batteries can wear out over time and won’t provide as much power. An electric model is well-balanced between power and convenience. Furthermore, it is an eco-friendly option. Hence, an electric weed eater is preferable for homeowners.
Another advantage of having a string trimmer is that it doesn’t have blades. Therefore, if it comes in contact with dirt, stones, and other debris, there is no risk of the edge getting dull. The monofilament string remains intact and efficiently removes the obstacles to operate continually. This makes it a preferred tool.
Difference Between A Weed Eater And Lawn Mower
A lawnmower is a powerful tool that cuts the grass and usually covers a larger area. It is suitable for gardens, parks, lawns to maintain the length of the grass. However, a weed eater is designed for precision work, especially for the corners and edges. Therefore, it is great for fences, sidewalks, flowerbeds, and other similar areas where you can’t use lawnmower openly.
Due to its size and weight, a lawnmower can’t be used in a tight space or for trimming purposes. It will end up causing more damage. Ergo, a weed eater, is a good selection. However, most of the weed eaters only have a cutting area of around 12 to 16 inches. Thus, they can’t do the extensive scale work as a lawnmower.
There are electric weed eaters that offer a rotating head. Thus, they also work as an edger and trimmer. Overall, a string trimmer has become an indispensable tool. Especially for any homeowner with a lawn or any form of garden-like landscape.
List Of Eight Best Electric Weed Eater (2021)
1. BLACK+DECKER String Trimmer with Auto Feed
Black + Decker is known for manufacturing reliable products, especially for DIY (do it yourself) enthusiasts. This product also successively meets all the checkpoints of a good weed eater. With 6.5 amperes of power and 14 inches length, it has a great reach and lightweight body. Furthermore, the edging wheel makes it easier for you to conduct precise cutting. Thus, you can take care of the stubborn edges and weeds.
There are two most striking features of this model. First, its Automatic Feed Spool technology, which prevents bumping of the strings for firm cutting power and maneuvers. Secondly, it has a cord retention system that prevents any abrupt disconnection of the power supply. Together, you can work non-stop.
For customer care and reliance, it also comes with a two-year warranty and a thirty-day money-back guarantee.
- Brand: Black + Decker
- Weight: 3.19 Pounds
- Dimension: 8.5 x 4.88 x 37.6 Inches
- Power: 6.5 Amp
2. Greenworks 13-Inch 4 Amp Electric Corded String Trimmer eater
This 13-inch masterpiece from GreenWorks brings you non-stop performance! With auto line feed, it can run for an unlimited duration as long as you get the power supply connected! Isn’t that just astonishing? But that’s not all! This has a lightweight of 7 pounds with a 13-inch cutting path backed up by a rotating trimmer shaft. Combined, these features enable you to have highly accurate edging. If you’re willing to sacrifice power slightly for more features, then there’s more!
It brings you a telescoping handle that can adjust in length according to your requirement. The automatic edging system also makes it a convenient selection, even for the beginners who hold no experience in trimming the weeds. Additionally, it has a cord lock to prevent accidental unplugs.
Overall, it is a great product, full of features, and has a warranty that ranges from three to four years. It has a ‘plug and go’ system with noiseless performance.
- Brand: GreenWorks
- Weight: 7 Pounds
- Dimension: 39.57 x 9.84 x 4.33 Inches
- Power: 4 Amp
3. Toro 51480 Corded 14-Inch Electric Trimmer
If you’re looking for a weed eater that you can operate effortlessly, it can’t get any better than this particular machine. You can use it as easy as taking a step while the automatic feed trim and dual-line deliver impeccable cutting ability.
This model is built to be highly compatible with users. Thus, it has a one-step button to quickly transform between trimmer to edge. This enables you to conduct precise trimming.
It also has a guide wheel to make your one-step edging easier. Despite its lightweight, the assist handle certainly plays a vital role in control. Thus, almost anyone can operate this trimmer. Correlatively, with 14 inches of wide cutting range, you have a brilliant product.
- Brand: The Toro Company
- Weight: 6.3 Pounds
- Dimension: 5.9 x 9.8 x 40.2 Inches
- Power: 5 Amp
4. Worx WG930.2 20V PowerShare 10” Cordless String Trimmer
If you are still looking for a compelling cordless addition to the list, then this one will satisfy your urge to have a power-packed combo. Worx is bringing you a combo of a three in one trimmer with a blower. Therefore, you have tools that take care of your trimming, edging, and cleaning needs!
The weed eater can change operation with a single push button. You can use it as a trimmer, wheeled edger or a mini-mower. It is accompanied by an adjustable assist grip to fit your control as it has seven different positions. Additionally, there is a push-button line feed, and it also has an additional spool holder for spare. It has a command feed to work conveniently.
The blower offers 360 CFM. For those who don’t know what it means, that is 360 cubic feet per minute of powerful airflow generation. Ergo, it can deliver up to 75 MPH of winds efficiently. Thus, making it great to remove dirt, debris, stones, and other obstacles. There are two speeds of 50mph and 80mph to give you better control.
Overall, this is a fantastic combo for the price range.
- Brand: Worx
- Weight: 16.27 Pounds
- Dimension: 55.2 x 5.5 x 7.5 Inches
- Power: 20 and 40 V
5. Greenworks 12-Inch 40V Cordless String Trimmer
This weed eater is a batter-type counterpart of the 14-inch string trimmer mentioned above in the list. Similar to the model, it brings you a 12 inch of cutting surface with 40 v of incredible power! For your convenience, it has an adjustable handle and offers a 0.065 dual-line that you get in the electric-model.
Similarly, it has an auto line feed to ease up your work. With its ergonomic design, the only drawback might be the limited 30 minutes performance. That’s right, compared to the previous version that has limitless performance, this one is heavily limited. But to make up for that, instead of automatic adjustments, it has a variable speed trigger to get the sudden boost in cutting power that you might need.
The batteries have a power indicator, and you can recharge them within an hour. In simple words, it is another alternative to those who prefer a battery-powered weed eater over an electrical one. However, it only uses the company manufactured batteries. So, you can’t use it with any other batteries.
Overall, for a battery-powered system, it delivers strong performance and power.
- Brand: GreenWorks
- Weight: 9.2 Pounds
- Dimension: 65 x 7.9 x 15 Inches
- Power: 2.0 A (40 V)
6. DEWALT DCST925M1 String Trimmer, Yellow/Black
Are you a minimalist person who needs a tool that gets the job done? Here is a Dewalt’s DCST925M1 String trimmer that offers cordless operations. It works with a battery with the power of around 20 V. Surely, on the surface, it looks weak, but actually, you get a powerful trigger for a boost in force if you come across stubborn weed or grass that requires more power. All in all, it offers up to 45 minutes of non-stop performance.
Despite being heavier than others on the list, it has an ergonomic design that evenly distributes the weight. Therefore, it does not feel as heavy as it is. The only problem is that the guard is small. However, you can invest in a more prominent guard that is sold separately to meet your requirements.
It also comes with an adjustable handle. Overall, the product is something that ‘gets the job done.’ It is a well-balanced product that has compelling price-range and efficiency.
- Brand: Dewalt
- Weight: 11.38 Pounds
- Dimension: 7.38 x 6.5 x 34 Inches
- Power: 20 V Max
7. WORX WG163 GT 3.0 20V PowerShare 12" Cordless String Trimmer & Edger
This weed eater from Worx is perhaps one of the best masterpieces you can get your hands on. It has an ergonomic design and all of the features that are focused on user convenience and security. You find everything such as automatic to command feed, two in one trimmer, and edger features and batteries that come with the product. However, the most commendable aspect is the lifetime supply of spools that make it a distinguishable work on the list.
You only have to pay the shipping price and not worry about the spooler anymore. The 90-degree head tilt, a wider guard and rubber wheels further helped with exceptional control and maneuver that makes it easy to operate. While this is a battery-powered weed eater, it does not lack the performance of power. The 7,600 RPM of exceptional performance is evident. For the price range, and for a long term benefit, this is a great unit.
- Brand: Positec/Worx
- Weight: 6 Pounds
- Dimension: 36.3 x 7.5 x 5.5 Inches
- Power: 20 V
8. CRAFTSMAN V20 String Trimmer / Edger
This is an economically favorable weed eater that you can get your hand on. It has all of the convenient features while staying in a ‘feasible’ range. Don’t compare it to the others on the list, for it is a beast in its way.
How? It comes with a dual-speed setting so that you can use it for longer trimming requirements. Similarly, if you need power, simply turn the switch, and you get the captivating power of a beast.
This works well to extend battery life. The ergonomic design with handy features such as turn-to-edge and adjustable support handle makes it a great tool. Additionally, it has a vibrant red and black color theme that makes it visually appealing.
Surpassing the standard 2-years warranty, the company also offers you a three years warranty. It is relatively light and offers you a 13-inch cutter with 0.080 line feed. Overall, it is a firmly-built product on the list.
- Brand: Craftsman
- Weight: 6.3 Pounds
- Dimension: 44.5 x 6.87 x 10.12 Inches
- Power: 20V
Factors To Consider Before Buying The Best Electric Weed Eater
There are certain factors that you should certainly consider before buying any electric weed eater. These factors can make a significant difference to help you choose only the best electric weed eater. So here are the prominent factors to look for:
- Cost: It is inevitably essential to look at the price of the product. If you are on a budget, then this is an important factor. However, you should also consider factors such as material composition, warranty, and features the product is offering. Often, a lower price may also mean a lack of features. So double-check to make sure you’re getting exactly what you’re paying for.
- Brand Prestige: Buying a branded item is comparatively better than local or cheaper alternatives. Most of them have fantastic services and customer care options. Additionally, they often have an impeccable quality of products. Therefore, this list only incorporates branded selections.
- Reviews: You can easily follow the link to each product to learn more about customer reviews and ratings. However, this article was intended to help you learn everything you need to know about the product. These ratings and reviews will always help you make an informed decision. Significantly, these are provided by the people who’ve used these tools and understand them for real-life applications.
- Specialization: Each electric weed eater has a specific domain. Some might focus more on performance, while others focus on power. Stability and other factors are also under technical consideration. A general rule of thumb is to buy the one with better accuracy and more extended performance for efficient use. That’s what this tool is designed for. So don’t let other things such as power deter you from making the right choice.
- Convenience: This is a tool to make your work easier. So user-friendly features are essential. Understand your requirement, what exactly are you looking for, and if the tool fits your checklist or not. Don’t go for complicated or tricky machines that are hard to operate and require some form of skill or qualification.
- Safety: While a weed eater is a very safe tool, some additional features such as a switch guard and cord holder might prove to be handy. You should also make sure that the spool is held firmly without any chance of going haywire. Ergonomic design with stability is paramount for a string trimmer.
Considering The Best Electric Weed Eater (Buying Decision)
Now that you understand the importance of the above-mentioned factors, it is time for you to make a buying decision. However, that still requires certain factors to be considered with limited options. Now, for this step, look at the technical side of the tool. To make sure that you’re making the right decision, check these points:
- Performance: How much power, such as volts or ampere, do you need for the weed eater. If it is a battery-operated tool, then the higher the voltage, the lower the battery life will be. However, that also means a more powerful performance. Electric ones are well-balanced between power and efficiency.
- Speed: When we talk about speed in a weed eater, it is about how easy it can trim the grass. The more power it has, the better it will cut. However, if you can adjust the strength or speed, then that is more favorable.
- Longevity: How long will the product last? Check out the warranty and read some reviews to understand how the batteries will fair. Similarly, how often will it require maintenance and cleanups? This will determine the overall life of the tool.
- Mobility: A string trimmer is an innovation that should be as easy as walking to operate. This means that you should not have over the top functions and rigid integrations. It should be swift and under your control. For that, stability, lightweight, and precision matters. Make sure that the assist handle is excellent and adjustable.
- Features: There are minor possibilities of innovating with the components in a weed eater. However, things such as automatic or command feed, adjustable handle, spool changing, and supplies, all of these are features. The guard width and cutting diameter are also key features. So, make sure to pay attention to them.
Frequently Asked Questions
1Q. What Is A Spool In Weed Eater And Why Is It Important?
Ans: A spool is the cylindrical part of the string trimmer that holds the monofilament strings. You will use this primarily to cut the weed and grass. Over time, it will keep using the strings until it runs out. Don’t you worry! The spools are interchangeable, and you can always buy more spools for your weed eater.
2Q. What Are The Protective Equipment You Should Wear While Using A Weed Eater?
Ans: A weed eater is very safe to operate. However, just to be sure you can wear a long-sleeved jacket and pants. Gloves for firm grip and goggles to prevent any debris from flying into your eyes is also a wise choice. It is primarily a good idea if you’re in an area where there’s too much sand, debris or gravel.
3Q. Which One Is Better: A Battery-Powered Or Electric Weed Eater?
Ans: A battery-powered weed eater is not restricted by the range of cords and does not depend on the power circuit to operate. It is easy to carry, and you can use it anywhere. However, an electric-powered weed eater is more efficient and can deliver non-stop performance. Often an electric-powered is a good idea for home users.
4Q. How Long Does It Take To Trim Weed Or Grass By Using A Weed Eater?
Ans: It strongly depends on the size of the area you’re using it on and the purpose. For most of the sidewalks, fences, and other paths, it is a matter of 5-15 minutes. A weed eater is not suitable to trim the complete garden, and a lawnmower would be more appropriate. If you’re using a weed eater, then it is convenient to give a finishing touch and a cleaner look to your garden’s overall appearance.
5Q. What Is An Edger In Weed Eater?
Ans: An edger of a weed eater helps to provide a professional finish to your lawn and walkways. Those delicate and crisp lines of grass you see that set at the edge of these paths are the result of an edger. Most of the edger comes with a directional wheel, which makes the process very easy.
This review aims to help you get the best insights regarding weed eater. The list encompasses choices that range in budget, features, and purpose to meet anyone’s requirement. Each of these products is highly effective with stability and outstanding safety measures. We have also accumulated battery types in the best electric weed eater list to make sure you have a choice that perfectly suits your needs.
A weed eater is not only a handy tool but highly efficient and can give your lawn that professional touch that you desire. Make sure to read our buyer’s guide and also the personal recommendations if they meet what you’re looking for!