This was greatly extended to
the south by Charles Bridgeman, working for Lord Harley in the 1720s,
with a system of great axial avenues and a series of canalised ponds,
woods disposed with serpentine paths leading to ‘cabinets’, bastions
and ha-has similar to those at Stowe.
The naturalisation of the
Wimpole landscape was begun with the 1st Earl of Hardwicke who, between
1749 and 1754 employed Robert Greening to grass over the old parterre
beds on the north side of the house and it was he who designed the original
Walled Garden to the North East of the house (since demolished.)
In 1767 Capability Brown was
employed by the 2nd Earl of Hardwicke to further naturalise the
landscape with belts of trees, turning the fishpond into serpentine
lakes and built the Gothic Tower on Johnson’s Hill, which was designed
years earlier by Sanderson Miller.
The last important changes to
the landscape were made by Humphry Repton for the 3rd Earl of Hardwicke
between 1801 and 1809, further naturalising the landscape.